[section type=”Single-Column-Panel” background=”white”]
Job Posting: Business Developer
The ICA Group, a nonprofit dedicated to advancing businesses and institutions that center worker voice, grow worker wealth, and build worker power, seeks a full-time Business Developer to join ICA’s home care team. This is an exciting and unusual opportunity for someone interested in using their consulting, business, and analytical skills for social good.
The Business Developer will be an integral part of our growing home care team, playing a key role in developing, managing, and delivering on projects in the home care sector. The work primarily involves business consulting, research, development of tools, resources, and communications documents, and engaging with a strategy to strengthen and grow the home care cooperative sector.
This position can be based out of the ICA Group’s office in Boston or Northampton. Candidates with home care industry experience based in New York City or Philadelphia will also be considered. This position requires traveling within the United States approximately 1 time per month.
About the ICA Group
The ICA Group is a leading expert on worker ownership and the oldest national organization dedicated to the development of worker cooperatives. We are a mission-driven nonprofit organized as a worker cooperative and are dedicated to bringing strategic analysis and industry-focused supports to the worker ownership sector. Our business expertise is bolstered by a deep understanding of worker ownership and other worker-centered structures, and a commitment to serving low-wage workers and communities of color.
The successful applicant will have five or more years of relevant work experience; be able to work independently, take full responsibility for assigned areas of work, and be comfortable managing a large and diverse portfolio of projects while maintaining high quality outputs. Candidates must be able to relate well to a broad constituency, including workers, small business owners, leaders of community-based organizations, union officials, financial professionals, and company executives. We are looking for an exceptional, dedicated person with superior technical and professional skills. Curiosity, intelligence, and enthusiasm are all key attributes for this position. Key responsibilities include:
Client Support (30%)
- Development of resources, tools and trainings to support the operations and growth of home care cooperatives
- Provision of direct client technical assistance to operational home care cooperatives, home care cooperative start-up initiatives, and to traditional home care businesses considering or pursuing conversion to worker ownership, including: strategic business plans, operational assessments, market assessments, communications materials, management assistance, and tools to support financial viability and sustainability
- Building and maintaining strong, collaborative client relationships
Communications and Outreach (30%)
- Development of program materials to support client and partner outreach, program promotion, and awareness of the cooperative model in home care
- Preparation of white papers, op eds, articles, and blogs to magnify ICA’s home care work; work with ICA’s communications team to integrate home care program into organizational platforms
- Identification and outreach to program partners and potential clients; building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders
Home Care Cooperative Sector Development (30%)
- Conduct industry research, market research, and data analysis, including quantitative and qualitative surveys and interviews
- Support the development and coordination of sector-wide peer exchange and learning opportunities (webinars, conferences, etc.)
- Act as a content expert related to home care business- and industry-wide best practices
Organizational Development (10%)
- Identify and deliver insights from clients that will be broadly applicable to other areas of the ICA Group’s work
- Contribute to the ICA Group’s strategy and communications by developing consulting tools and resources, generating research from client work, and serving as a subject matter resource
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and a proven ability to translate complex concepts and ideas into accessible, compelling narratives
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to build client level relationships with diverse clients and stakeholders
- Experience providing business technical assistance or direct experience running a business
Additional Desired Capabilities
- MA, MBA, MPA, JD or other relevant graduate degree
- Professional experience in either the home care industry or in marketing and sales
- Proven ability to think strategically and creatively to solve complex problems.
- Ability to use data to drive insights.
- Experience in both process and project management. Familiarity with Salesforce and/or Asana a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish
- Demonstrated team orientation; comfort working in a highly collaborative environment
- Comfort working in a fast-paced and self-directed environment
- Excitement and interest in helping a growing organization scale effectively, and an enthusiastic interest in taking on new responsibilities and roles as this happens
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $70,000 and is commensurate with experience and local cost of living. The ICA Group provides a generous benefits package including 4 weeks of vacation, 12 paid holidays, 8 days of sick leave, and health insurance.
About Working at the ICA Group
The ICA Group is a rapidly growing nonprofit. 65% of staff have worked at ICA for 2 years or less. All staff members are expected to help build organizational capacity, processes, and culture. 60% of the ICA Group staff work in our offices in Northampton and Boston and 40% work remotely from east coast locations. We utilize technology and virtual meetings on a daily basis, and hold quarterly in-person meetings at our Northampton office. We are committed to a workplace culture that supports work-life balance and flexibility for working parents and other caregivers.
At the ICA Group, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that in order to build a new economy where working people lead and own democratic workplaces, leaders in cooperative development must reflect the communities they serve. We support equitable opportunities for all people and we strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds, people of color, women, individuals from the LGBTQIAA+ community, and others who identify as a part of historically marginalized communities to apply for open positions at the ICA Group.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by March 15th. To apply, please upload a resume and cover letter as a single PDF and a short writing sample, preferably a client- or public-facing document such as a memo or blog/article to firstname.lastname@example.org.
[section type=”Contact-Panel” background=”blue”]
Support our work to advance businesses and institutions that center worker voice, grow worker wealth, and build worker power.
[section type=”Standard-Footer” background=”dark-blue”]